Even though we live in a world that never stops, you can relax and enjoy the benefits of meditation. There are numerous benefits to meditation. As more modern, mainstream medical practitioners look into meditation techniques, the more they have started to acknowledge some of these benefits.
Of course, this is nothing new to a great many alternative health individuals…such as myself.
Physical and Mental Benefits of Meditation
Ways That Meditation Can Improve Your Health
According to the Benson Henry Institute, 60 to 90% of doctor visits are for stress related conditions, but Harvard University researchers conducted a study that connects deep relaxation to genetic changes in the body. They found that disease fighting genes are more active in people who regularly practice meditation, compared with people in the control group.
These genes protect the body against a number of health issues, including:
- Heart disease
- Various skin conditions
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Meditation even helps to boost immunity, and studies show that cancer patients have recovered more effectively due to meditation and are less at risk for developing another tumor. The benefits of stress reduction here, cannot be overstated.
Meditation makes the body less responsive to stress hormones, which lowers blood pressure, improves blood circulation, improves digestion and immunity, and establishes emotional and neurological “balance.”
How does this work?
It has to do with your hormones. Stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenalin increase blood pressure and heart rate, while “feel good” chemicals such as serotonin, which are released in a state of relaxation, work to repair cells.
On a physical level, meditation:
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- Improves the immune system
- Increases the energy level, as you gain an inner source of energy.
Mental Benefits of Meditation
- Anxiety decrease
- Emotional stability improves
- Creativity increases
- Happiness increases
- Intuition develops
- Gain clarity and peace of mind
- Problems become smaller
- Meditation sharpens the mind by gaining focus and expands through relaxation
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger and frustration
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress
- The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings perfection. Article Source
Regular practice of meditation is an effective, simple and safe way to balance a person’s emotional, mental and physical state. As a result of this, it is commendable that more and more mainstream doctors are suggesting to their patients that they learn to meditate in conjunction with their traditional medical treatments.
Many doctors have reported that meditating has helped their patients heal faster and respond better to various treatments and medications.
Of course, there are also many benefits even for those who are not undergoing any type of medical treatment, and many advocates of various meditation techniques say that a regular practice of meditating can help keep a person healthy and can actually be instrumental in warding off illness and disease.
It is believed that one of the reasons for this is the fact that the meditation helps to keep stress and anxiety in check and since these are major contributors or triggers of many health issues, it is natural that those who meditate enjoy better health.
A significant reduction in stress levels is one of the most striking, and important, benefits of the regular practice of meditation. When meditating on a regular basis, the mind and body are able to release the stresses that are layered onto a person during the challenges of a normal day. By turning to meditation techniques at least once a day, a state of reduced stress can be achieved and maintained.
My website contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase any products mentioned in my articles, I may receive a commission. If you do, thank you!