Article Table of Contents
Natural Steps To Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels
If you’ve been told you have high blood sugar levels you may be looking for ways to lower blood sugar levels naturally. Any treatment, natural or otherwise, depends on many factors, so please don’t self-diagnose.
Why Is It Important To Lower Blood Sugar?
Though blood sugar levels are not as high as full diabetes, it is just as important to control. Without control, the next step is a full on diabetes type 2 diagnosis.
The most important thing to do is to lower blood sugar levels and keep it normalized. Out of control blood sugar levels are not healthy!
Diabetes makes your body fight against itself. When the sugar stays in your blood it destroys your organs. They can not handle high blood sugar levels. Normally, the sugar is deposited into your body’s cells by insulin secreted by your pancreas and the other organs receive blood with lower sugar levels.
The sugar gives the cells the energy to do their jobs. When they can’t do their jobs, other processes in your body are interrupted and you start to feel tired and ill. You body will go into quick decline if you don’t do something about your high blood sugar levels.
The way your body responds to high blood sugar levels is to make you urinate more often as the kidneys try to rid the body of the sugar. The body makes sugar out of the foods you eat. Even if you don’t eat sugar directly, the body uses carbohydrates and turns them into sugar as part of breaking down foods in your stomach and intestines.
Carbohydrates can be in the form of wine, cake, potatoes, white rice and white bread, the sugar you put in your coffee and more – they all become sugar to be fed to the cells for energy. If you keep putting sugar into your body with the food you eat, the body goes into full alert and tries to rid itself of the sugar, in any way it can, until it declines, and can no longer function properly.
So, the need to lower your blood sugar levels cannot be stressed enough and you need to help your body go back to normal to regain your health. As you can see diet is important!
Get Plenty Of Exercise
Plenty of physical activity will ensure that you stimulate your circulation and keep it strong to prevent wounds that won’t heal and infections that can occur with diabetes.
- Exercise also stimulates the metabolism, which will make it easier for your body to digest the foods you eat.
In addition to exercise, dietary changes are required. Avoiding processed sugars is a great start in keeping your glucose levels under control. It’s also a good idea to drop a little weight if you need to and start following a healthy diet, especially if your diet isn’t as it should be.
Foods To Lower Blood Sugar levels
Super foods are foods that help lower blood sugar, and therefore, worth adding to your diet.
- Eat Magnesium Rich Foods – The best 5 magnesium rich leafy greens are Spinach, Kale, Collard greens, Swiss chard, and Romaine lettuce. The magnesium in them helps to regulate blood sugar levels and blood pressure. These leafy greens also contain fiber, B vitamins, iron, calcium, and vitamin C.
- Increase Your Fiber Intake – An increased fiber intake, with soluble fiber, slows digestion and prevents blood sugar levels from spiking after eating a meal. Fiber also moves things along the digestive track. Most people should consume between 24 and 50 grams daily.
- Add Cinnamon To Your Diet – Just 1/4 of a teaspoon of cinnamon daily in coffee, on toast, or in oatmeal will make the cells more sensitive to insulin and after about a month the blood sugar levels may reduce more quickly after meals. This comes from the high chromium content in the cinnamon. I love adding cinnamon to yogurt!
- Dark Chocolate Improves Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure – Dark chocolate or cacao is another great food substance in the treatment of diabetes. It improves insulin sensitivity (like cinnamon). It is an abundant source for magnesium, as well as fiber, iron and protein. Chocolate reduces blood pressure, quickly lowers blood sugar levels and improves blood vessel function. Remember this is for 80% or purer dark chocolate cacao and only an ounce is needed daily.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar helps blood sugar levels go down quickly, almost 50% on average, when taken before 2 of your meals daily. You need to take 2 tablespoons in water. Apple cider vinegar is a natural medicine in a bottle, in my opinion, so find a way to take it, because it works so well. Try it and see for yourself.
- Nuts and Seeds – Nuts and seeds are more super foods and seeds can be incorporated in many meals. Eat nuts whole or chopped on top of many foods like oatmeal, salad, and yogurt, or just eat as a snack. Do measure them because nuts are high in calories.
There are many more foods, but these are some of the best some super foods to add to your meal plan to lower blood sugar levels.
If you like trying new foods and recipes, there are so many that fit right in with lowering your blood sugar levels. Look into Paleo eating or the raw food diet. These are types of low carb eating. Ask your health care professional if you are uncertain of how a food will affect you and your blood sugar.
Follow A Low Carb Diet
Your meal plan should follow a very low carb type diet, between 30-50% carbs.
- Drop all sugar and fruit juice, and only eat whole fruits when blood sugar levels are under control. Stay away from high carb fruits, such as pineapple and bananas, and potatoes, rice and beans.
- Eat plenty of lean meats and low carb vegetables, and don’t forget while eating healthy to get plenty of exercise!
Another important point is, if you lower your carbohydrate intake, you will also keep your weight under control, especially if you need to lose any.
Natural Blood Sugar Supplement
There are also natural supplements to help lower blood sugar levels.
- One natural supplement is Blood Sugar Optimizer. (For more information on this supplement: Click Here)
- This all natural supplement helps to optimize blood sugar levels, so you don’t experience the ‘highs’ and ‘lows’.
- It also supports maximum glucose metabolism, so it increases your energy levels and it also provides antioxidant protection and increases insulin sensitivity, plus reduces those sugar cravings.
If you are looking for an all natural supplement, I do like to recommend this one as it has been going for over 9 years (at the time of my writing) and has over 307,000 happy users. The link below is for a special discount, however, you can find out more here too!
If you are taking prescription medications, but want to give your body the extra healing boost it needs, or you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes but are working through lifestyle changes to balance it, taking control is possible! Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease! The right natural remedies for lowering blood sugar levels, may help lead the way to a healthier you.
However, please consult with your doctor first as they know your medical history and what may or may not be right for you.
My website contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase any products mentioned in my articles, I may receive a commission. If you do, thank you!