Massage? Is massage therapy safe enough even though I am pregnant? The answer to that is yes, with precautions. When it comes to pregnancy it is best to weigh on the side of caution as it is a gentle balance that should not be tampered with or put at risk. But there are limits and things that are certainly safe – even highly beneficial during pregnancy, and some of them are things that others may warn you away from.
Okay, so what can you do? You are tired but can’t drink caffeine, your muscles hurt but you have to be careful of how you work them, and your mind is running a mile a minute so you have trouble sleeping which leads back to the tiredness. You consult your doctor and they suggest many things, one of which is a massage.
Your belly is not what it used to be and it is certainly going to change some more. We all know that the bigger the baby grows the bigger the baby gets. You are warned not to lie on your back too long because of circulation and you certainly cannot lie on your belly. So, how can one actually enjoy a massage?
Massage Therapist Trained For Pregnancy
It is best to consult a massage therapist that has been trained for pregnancy. They can offer a massage that happens while you are comfortably lying on your side. This will allow for full circulation while you reap the benefits of the relaxing massage.
Another option that may become available is a specially designed table. Massage therapists that specialize in pregnancy massage will have these. The table is a massage table with a cut out for the abdomen and the breasts, all the while they are supported so the mother-to-be feels fully supported. You can lie on your stomach and feel weightless while the massage therapist works their magic.
Why consult a massage therapist? How can they help with what is supposed to be a natural wonder? It’s true that many women have given birth in the past and never received a massage, but they also didn’t tend to enjoy the pregnancy journey. These are just some of the reasons to consult and try a massage from a trained massage therapist:
- Emotional and physical changes occur during your pregnancy that can greatly affect your life. A trained massage therapists can offer relaxation, alleviate discomforts, and improve circulation which all leads to a more enjoyable pregnancy
- Your muscles tend to hold tension and this is a tense time in your life. Having a massage will relax those muscles which will relieve pain
- Improving your circulation through massage will help combat the endless fatigue you may encounter. The improved circulation will also benefit your baby because it will increase the flow of nutrition and oxygen
- Anyone who is pregnant can testify to the difficulty of maintaining good posture. Your front is growing too large for the rest of your body; you have a tendency to fall and put strain on your back. A trained massage therapist can offer help to maintain your posture so that you stand upright
- It is a together time in your life. You have created life and want to share all of its milestones with your partner. But there are few ways that a man can truly feel involved. Going together to a massage therapy appointment can also benefit your partner because he can learn ways to relieve your discomfort, help you, and participate in the pregnancy. Your partner can then deliver some massage techniques when you most need it.
If someone does their research, consults with their doctor or mid-wife, and consults with a variety of therapists, then there is no reason not to enjoy the benefits of massage. If all precautions are taken and common sense is used, then massage therapy is a safe and effect alternative therapy to benefit from during pregnancy.
My website contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase any products mentioned in my articles, I may receive a commission. If you do, thank you!