Article Table of Contents
- 1 A Lack of Sleep Causes Health Issues
- 2 Natural Sleep Remedies For Insomnia Problems
- 2.1 Remedy 1 – Don’t Treat Your Bedroom As An Office
- 2.2 Remedy 2 – Have A Fixed Sleep Time
- 2.3 Remedy 3 – Exercise Regularly
- 2.4 Remedy 4 – Don’t Exercise Too Close To Bedtime
- 2.5 Remedy 5 – Quit Smoking, Cigarettes Are A Stimulant
- 2.6 Remedy 6 – Avoid Caffeine A Few Hours Before Bedtime
- 2.7 Remedy 7 – Take A Shower and Let Your Body Cool Down
- 2.8 Remedy 8 – Eat Some Carbs, Not Too Many!
- 2.9 Remedy 9 – Eat Foods That Help you Sleep Better
- 2.10 Remedy 10 – Ensure That Your Bedroom is Dark
- 2.11 Remedy 11 – Use a Good Pillow and Mattress
- 2.12 Remedy 12 – Avoid Screens an Hour Before Bed
- 2.13 Remedy 13 – Breathe Slowly and Deeply
- 2.14 Remedy 14 – Avoid Alcohol
- 2.15 Remedy 15 –Avoid Napping During the Day If You Can’t Sleep At Night
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 For Fast Acting Sleep – Best Natural Sleep Remedy
If you can’t sleep, or have trouble getting a good night’s sleep, statistics show that at least 40% of the population suffers from insomnia or sleep related issues. That’s terrible! No sleep causes an unhealthy body!
So let’s get you sleeping, so you can enjoy your mornings again…and as the picture shows…have your coffee in the morning, not before you go to bed!
A Lack of Sleep Causes Health Issues
A lack of sleep can not only cause you irritation but also lead to health issues.
- Your chances of getting heart disease, heart failure and heart attacks go up when you’re deprived of sleep.
- It kills your sex drive, leads to weight gain, makes you depressed, increases forgetfulness and ages you faster.
- You’ll also be more susceptible to strokes, diabetes, high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat.
- These are serious health problems and it’s imperative that you get sufficient sleep to keep these health issues at bay.
People who struggle to fall asleep every night are all too familiar with the feelings of aggravation and irritation that arise when they just can’t doze off. This irritation makes it all the more difficult for the body to relax and get some shut-eye.
In some cases, falling asleep may not be the problem but sleeping soundly is. You may wake up several times a night or your sleep is fitful and restless. You wake up drained and exhausted despite sleeping. It would be a good idea to consult your doctor regarding this issue because you might have sleep apnea or some other condition that causes this problem.
Natural Sleep Remedies For Insomnia Problems
All these natural remedies for sleeping are holistic methods and will not interfere with any medical treatment you’re going through. However, if concerned, please always talk to your doctor. I’m not qualified to say what you can or can’t do!
Far too often, people try to medicate the problem away. Taking pills is no quick fix to any problem. Sleeping pills will help you sleep but you’ll become dependent on them. In some cases, you may wake up feeling groggy and lethargic.
- Most people just can’t sleep because they have an overactive mind.
- They’ve not learned to calm their mind.
- They’re trying to sleep but their mind is busy having a conversation with itself and just won’t take a break.
You do not have to apply all these tips at once. Just try them out one at a time and you may be surprised that all you need is just one or two tips which work wonders. Then all you need to do is stick to them. You’ll sleep like a baby and wake up refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Who knows… some of you might even fall asleep while reading this short report! 🙂
All levity aside, the remedies in this guide have been proven to work for thousands of people. This is not untested theory. So, apply them and sleep well.
Remedy 1 – Don’t Treat Your Bedroom As An Office
Do not watch TV in your bedroom or treat it like a home office. There are many people who sit on their beds and work on their laptops. They then wonder why they can’t sleep.
Only go to your bedroom when you need to sleep. Your mind will associate your bedroom with sleep and will automatically start to unwind and get ready for bed when you step into it.
Remedy 2 – Have A Fixed Sleep Time
One of the biggest mistakes to make is to sleep at a different time each day. The best way to get a good night’s sleep will be to sleep at the same time daily. This will set up a kind of pattern or ritual that your body adapts to.
By sleeping at the same time daily, it will become a habit and you will notice that with time, you start feeling sleepy and begin yawning as bedtime approaches. This is a good sleeping pattern.
If you’re staying up at odd hours daily and trying to burn the candle at both ends, the times you go to sleep will be irregular and your body will not associate any particular time as being a good time to go to bed. Avoid this problem.
Remedy 3 – Exercise Regularly
Exercise is one of the best natural remedies for sleep. The harder your training regimen is, the better you will sleep. If you spoke to any soldier in boot camp and asked them what the one thing they can’t get enough of is, almost all of them will invariably say sleep.
The reason for this is that physical exertion tires the body. Your body will then need rest to recover from all the exercise. It does this best by sleeping. You may have noticed that when you spend a day swimming at the beach and running about in the sun, by nightfall you can’t wait to hit the sack. Now you know why.
Remedy 4 – Don’t Exercise Too Close To Bedtime
As mentioned in the point above, exercise is great for sleep BUT you should not exercise for at least 4 hours prior to bedtime.
- If you exercise too close to your bedtime, you boost your metabolic rate and you’re more awake due to the increased blood circulation.
- Your heart is busy beating away and it takes a while for the body to calm down.
- It’s best to work out early in the day so that by bedtime, you’re exhausted and can’t wait to doze off.
- Do not be too active before bed.
Remedy 5 – Quit Smoking, Cigarettes Are A Stimulant
If you’re a smoker, you should quit. Nothing ever good comes from smoking and the nicotine in the cigarettes is a stimulant. Many smokers believe that smoking helps them relax. The contrary is true and studies indicate that smokers are much more prone to sleep issues than non-smokers. Kick this nasty habit.
Remedy 6 – Avoid Caffeine A Few Hours Before Bedtime
Caffeine is a stimulant too.
- Avoid coffee, energy drinks and even sodas that contain caffeine.
- Ideally, it would be best to stop consumption of caffeine in the early afternoon.
By nightfall, the effects of the caffeine would have dissipated and you will not be wide awake at bedtime.
Remedy 7 – Take A Shower and Let Your Body Cool Down
You will sleep faster and better in cool surroundings.
- Your body temperature needs to drop a little so that you start feeling sleepy.
- One good technique to employ will be to take a hot or warm shower before bed.
- This will raise your body temperature but once you step out of the shower, your body will start to cool down and this will be a cue for your body to become sleepy.
- By the time you sleep, you’ll neither feel hot nor cold.
This would be a good ritual to follow every night and it works well! That’s why babies sleep so much better after a bath.
Remedy 8 – Eat Some Carbs, Not Too Many!
Eating a small serving of carbohydrates about 20 minutes before bedtime will help you to doze off faster. There is a certain response in your body that occurs when you eat carbs.
- When you consume carbs before bedtime, your body secretes insulin and sends amino acids to the muscle tissues.
- When it does this, the tryptophan amino acid in your body can make its way to your brain unimpeded by the other amino acids.
- This will aid in helping you sleep.
While this may sound complicated, all you need to know is that consuming about 400 to 500 calories of carbs before bedtime will make you sleepy.
Do note that you should not go overboard. Avoid have a large meal at dinner time because this will affect your sleep. Your body will be working to digest the food and will not be able to rest while you sleep because the digestive process is at work.
Too many carbs can cause weight gain, so be sensible!
Remedy 9 – Eat Foods That Help you Sleep Better
There are several types of foods that have special properties to help you sleep better. Bananas are rich in magnesium and potassium which help to repair your muscles and relax them. Bananas also contain tryptophan which helps you sleep.
- Chamomile tea, almonds, cottage cheese, sweet potatoes, oats, cherries, grapes and honey are other foods that contain ingredients that will help you get a good night’s sleep.
- Do include these foods in your diet and you will look better, feel better and sleep better.
Remedy 10 – Ensure That Your Bedroom is Dark
You’ll get the best quality sleep in a dark room. Use thick curtains to shut out any light that may come in. Street lights, light from the neighbor’s house, etc. can affect your sleep if they enter your bedroom.
- Your body needs to be in darkness to release melatonin which is a sleep inducing hormone.
- Make sure there are no electrical appliances in your room that give off light.
- This applies to your mobile phones, tablets, laptops, etc.
- You want to aim for complete darkness so that your sleep quality is good.
Remedy 11 – Use a Good Pillow and Mattress
Do not try to scrimp and save money when it comes to buying a good mattress and pillow. Your body needs sufficient support when you sleep or you’ll wake up with neck aches and back pain.
The goal here is to keep your body well-aligned. People who sleep on their stomach may choose to use a flat pillow or no pillow at all. This will keep the pressure of their lower backs.
Monitor how your body feels when you wake. If it’s in pain or aches, your mattress or pillow may not be right for you.
Remedy 12 – Avoid Screens an Hour Before Bed
Technology has made more people suffer from sleep issues than any other cause. Studies show that watching TV, looking at your computer screen or your mobile phone screen before bedtime has an adverse effect on your sleep patterns.
The light emitted from these screens not only stimulate your mind but will also suppress your melatonin levels. This is detrimental because you’ll have shorter random eye movement sleep (REM) and wake up feeling tired instead of rested.
Remedy 13 – Breathe Slowly and Deeply
One of the best techniques to sleeping quickly is to breathe deeply. Many people find this to be a very effective method.
- The breathing technique is simple to learn and master.
- All you need to do is inhale deeply for 5 seconds.
- Now hold your breath for a count of 3 seconds and then exhale slowly for a count of 5 seconds.
- Aim to do this 10 to 15 times.
It’s so effective that many people doze off before they even complete 15 repetitions. This technique works so well because it relaxes your body and lowers your heart rate. Your body is put in a state that makes it crave sleep. You should definitely try out this remedy.
Remedy 14 – Avoid Alcohol
It’s a common belief that alcohol makes you sleepy. The truth of the matter is that the sleep you get from collapsing in a drunken stupor on the bed is very often not the kind of sleep that leaves you refreshed in the morning.
In fact, you’ll probably wake up disheveled, groggy and with a headache. Avoid alcohol before bed. It doesn’t help you sleep better.
Remedy 15 –Avoid Napping During the Day If You Can’t Sleep At Night
Sometimes you may not be sleepy at night because you actually sleep during the day. If you have difficulties falling asleep at night, you might be tempted to take a quick nap in the afternoon.
- Do NOT give in and take a short nap.
- It’s better to be exhausted throughout the day and finally go to bed at night craving sleep.
- Endure this a couple of times and you will have a good sleep pattern.
These 15 remedies are highly effective and you’ll only benefit from the advice in this article if you apply the remedies mentioned.
Your doctor may provide you with magnesium supplements and other supplements that help with your sleep issues. Do note that supplements and sleeping pills are two different things.
Natural Supplements Vs Sleeping Pills
- Supplements are usually vitamins or minerals that work with your body to help it sleep.
- You could be lacking these vitamins and by consuming them, your body will function optimally.
- Sleeping pills, however, are designed to work on your brain to make you feel drowsy.
- These pills can become an addiction and just like most types of medication, some people may experience side effects like lethargy during the day, memory loss, etc.
If your doctor recommends you take sleeping pills, it would be best for you to try out the remedies in this report first before you resort to taking the pills. If the problem can be remedied naturally and holistically, that is your best option…don’t you think?
For Fast Acting Sleep – Best Natural Sleep Remedy
Just remember that natural remedies are not a quick fix solution…so give them time to work! It’s because you’re addressing the causes and not the symptoms. Sleeping pills may get you to sleep quick, but this is just a temporary fix.
Natural remedies will fix the root cause. If you can’t sleep because you’re using the computer daily up to bedtime, you’ll frequently have problems sleeping. Pills will not fix the problem…only stopping usage of devices that have screens will resolve your sleep problem.
So, be alert and try to figure out what is preventing you from sleeping easily and sleeping well. Once you get to the root of the problem, you’ll know what to do and be able to sleep soundly. A great day starts with a good night!
My website contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase any products mentioned in my articles, I may receive a commission. If you do, thank you!