Acupuncture – Natural Therapy To De-Stress
Have you ever thought of using acupuncture for stress relief? Perhaps the mere thought of the needles is stressful! However, acupuncture is one alternative therapy that has helped many people relieve headaches and stress.
What Is Acupuncture and How Does It Work?
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese healing art that involves inserting fine needles at very precise pressure points throughout the body. The needles stimulate the body’s natural healing processes in its energy system.
- Acupuncturists believe that energy flows through the body system through channels called meridians. This energy is referred to as Qi or Chi.
- Stress causes an imbalance in the body’s energy and causes it to flow improperly. The Qi can become blocked and stagnant. It must be unblocked and flow freely in order to restore harmonious balance to the body.
- By stimulating the proper acupressure points, the Qi can flow freely, thereby alleviating stress induced mental and physical symptoms.
Facial acupuncture is perfectly safe when performed by a licensed practitioner. Acupuncturists are trained in the proper methods of treatment and all instruments are sterilized to prevent any risk of infection.
Approved non-toxic needles made for single use application are used in acupuncture treatments. The majority of people who undergo acupuncture feel no pain at all. A small percentage may feel very minimal pain and bleeding rarely occurs. I have used acupuncture for migraines and it worked wonders!
How Acupuncture Can Help Relieve Stress
- Acupuncture can relieve the physical symptoms of stress that tends to accumulate in the neck, shoulders, and back, causing pain and tension.
- Headaches are another physical complaint resulting from stress, which is why it helped my migraines.
- There are also people who are under high levels of stress that exhibit high blood pressure and so acupuncture may help to lower blood pressure too if the stress levels drop.
Acupuncture leaves the body feeling calm and relaxed. An added benefit of acupuncture is that it improves the circulation of the blood throughout the body. A typical acupuncture session may last for 30 to 60 minutes in which time you will become very relaxed and you may even fall asleep.
Regular acupuncture treatments can help strengthen your body so you’re better able to deal with the day-to-day stresses of life and leave you feeling refreshed and energized.
Regular acupuncture treatments can help heal stress related health conditions and improve the body’s immunity to defend against potential illnesses. In some cases, acupuncture that is being used to treat one condition can actually help detect another, more severe illness that had not been previously identified. In such cases, acupuncture aids in early diagnosis and treatment.
In another capacity, acupuncture can serve as a form of preventive measure against illness by alleviating stress and strengthening the body.
- Acupuncture serves to the treat the mind and body as a whole system.
- Conventional medicine has come to accept that the mind affects the body.
- The mental system affects the physical.
- Stress is a perfect example of the interrelated connection between the body and mind.
The mind perceives life situations and the body reacts to them on the basis of the mind’s perception. If the mind perceives a threat, the body immediately prepares for a flight or fight response in which the heart beats faster and the muscles tighten, just as with stress.
Remember, acupuncture is just one method of relieving stress. It’s also important to learn positive and productive ways to cope with stress on a daily basis, thereby making the stress work for you rather than against you.
Find your own combination to de-stress and tell me about them in the comments below! Have you used acupuncture to find stress relief?
My website contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase any products mentioned in my articles, I may receive a commission. If you do, thank you!